Health bars /Energy Bars with seeds, nuts and dried fruits
Do you have the same problem as I do? You feel like something to eat between meals. You maybe crave something sweet. And you end up eating something unhealthy. I have that problem. I get hungry in between meals and I end up eating something that is not good for me. Often it is something that is very processed and with lots of refined sugar. Another problem I run into is, the unhealthy snack that I eat, does not keep me full for very long. And soon I am on the hunt again. And I eat something unhealthy and on and on we go. These health bars / energy bars with seeds, nuts and dried fruits are great. They satisfy my sweet tooth, but they also manage to keep me full for a long time. And they are natural and have a lot of ingredients that provide you with a lot of health benefits. Flaxseeds are rich in vitamins and nutrients including magnesium and Vitamin B. They also contain a lot of fiber and rich in omega 3 fatty acids. With all the rye flour in this recipe you get a lot of fiber, from eating one of these health bars. Fiber is very good for your digestive health. And has been shown to protect against colon cancer.
What to do:
- 1¼ Cup Spelt Flakes
- 2 Cups Medium Rye Flour
- 100 grams crushed flaxseeds
- 150 grams dried apricots (chopped into pieces)
- 75 grams of pitted dates (chopped into pieces)
- 1 Apple (shredded)
- 150 grams of walnuts (chopped)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1¾ plain low fat yogurt
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- I chop the apricots, dates & walnuts into relative large pieces. That is how I like it.
- The rye flour I use is a medium rye. The flavor, I find is not quite so strong, but if you cannot find a medium rye it will do fine using a regular rye flour.
- Add the apple and yogurt to the dry ingredients.
- Stir until mixed well.
- Put baking paper in an oven proof dish (25x25 cm).
- Spread the dough evenly in the oven proof dish.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 1 hour & 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool down before cutting into slices.
- Can be frozen.